Saturday, June 22, 2013

Frugal Furnishings

As with most Blythe owners, I love to photograph my doll. I prefer to photograph her outdoors. Since I live in Indiana where we have snow, rain, heat and high humidity, that's not always possible.

I want to build some sort of diorama or something to take pictures indoors. I have seen some ideas on-line, but haven't quite decided on what I will do yet. In the meantime, I thought it might be fun to make/find some props to use.

The first thing I made was a couch. I took 2 old paperback books and covered them in faux leather. I glued them together at a right angle and added round beads for feet. I have an Ashton Drake doll and she does not have an articulated body. Her knees bend only slightly, so I wanted a couch that would accommodate that 
issue.
This couch cost me nothing to make because I had all the supplies on had.


The next project was a "trash to treasure" project. I used an empty relish jar for a table. I made a table cloth for it by measuring from the bottom on 1 side, up over the lid and down the other side to the bottom. Once I had this measurement, I knew that I would need a circle, with that diameter, to use as a pattern. One of my saucers was exactly right. I traced around the saucer onto my fabric. I used my serger and made a rolled hem around the outside of the circle. After that. I dampened the fabric and put it over the relish jar. I folded the fabric a bit so it draped nicely and then put an elastic band around it. I let it dry overnight and then removed the elastic. The drapes stayed perfectly.



















The silver horse statue is a charm glued to a button. I cut the loop off with wire cutters before gluing it. It was not a sterling silver charm, just some pot metal. The statue and the table project were also cost free as I utilized things I had.

The last project did cause me to dip into my wallet. I was at my local Dollar Tree (one of my favorite places to shop) and found a magnet that looked like a TV. It was meant to put a photo in. Instead, I covered the screen with a piece of silver paper.
The next thing I found was this little desk organizer. It looked like a mini entertainment center to me.
 I stood it on end and added the TV to the top. I plan on filling it in with other things as I go. I may also paint the "entertainment center" black.
This project has cost $2.00 so far, but I know it will be worth it once I fill it in.

Blythe is in the same scale as Barbie, therefore you can use her furniture and accessories too.  Here is a great tutorial on how to make the plastic furniture look like wood: http://www.dolls-n-daggers.com/Dolls/Forum/index.php?topic=297.0 

If you have made any items for your Blythe doll, please feel free to share. 

In addition to these projects, I made some new clothes for Blythe that is available for sale on my web site.



No comments: