Thursday, September 19, 2013

No Skeletons In This Closet

Raleigh has been accumulating a lot of things lately. Her latest are from Canada, but I will tell you more about that later. Right now, I had all of her clothes, jewelry and other things in plastic shoes boxes. It kept the dust and pet fur off, but it was hard to find things. I had to come up with a better storage idea.

If you read my other blog: Colleen's Cottage Crafts, this wine box will look familiar to you.

I found it in the garage when I moved in with my fiance. I wasn't quite sure what to use it for, but I knew it would come in handy at some point. Suddenly it came to me. This box was going to be the solution for Raleigh's storage problems and the closet project got under way.

Since Raleigh and my other dolls keep me company in my sewing/craft room, I wanted it to coordinate with the decor in there. I went shopping and found 2 different shades of aqua acrylic paint that would work perfectly. I decided to paint the outside of the box the darker of the two shades and do the lighter one inside.

I was going to do two coats of paint, but I decided I like the time worn look of the wood after just one coat.
As you know, I don't have much in the way of funds for doll things right now, so if I have something on hand I can make work, I am delighted. I didn't have a thin enough dowel for closet rods, but I had these heart things and I thought they might work if I took them apart.
The heart came off the top, after a bit of persuasion, but unfortunately, the dowel was to short to span the sides of the box. Once again I had to get creative. I cut squares of foam core and stacked them on each end of the dowel until it fit the box perfectly. I painted them the same color as the inside of the box.
I glued the dowel into the stacks of foam core and glued them into the box. I didn't like the way the edges of the foam core looked, so I found some ribbon that was a good color and glued it around the stack of squares.



I made some tiny hangers using jewelry wire and started to hang some clothes.


Her dresses and longer things will go on the top, while tops and skirts will go on the bottom. I put some of her shoes on the bottom, even though she has a big shoe organizer. They just looked cute there. Raleigh got a new skate board (Dollar Tree, scored a package of 2 boards and extra wheels) this week, so maybe I will store that there instead of her shoes.

I needed a place to store Raleigh's jewelry, hair accessories and glasses. On the door portion of the box, I attached a ribbon at the top and bottom with push pins. Glasses and hair accessories go on the top ribbon and earrings hang at the bottom. I also put some push pins on the slats to hold necklaces.



I really think this was a great way to use the wine box. 

My LPS Blythe dolls are jealous and want a closet too. I think I have something around here that just might work for their tiny things. I can even make hangers tiny enough. LOL!


Now, as for the new goodies from Canada. I belong to a group called Blythe Kingdom. They have swaps there that you can sign up for. Last month I participated in the Beach Babe Swap and my partner was from Canada.  You can see some of the things she sent by looking at my Flickr Album. I loved everything she sent, but I will share a sneak peek by showing you my favorite. Donna T., my partner, hand knit this mermaid outfit for my LPS doll.
Isn't it amazing! The stitches are so small and delicate. She did a wonderful job. I have left it on my doll and don't think she will ever have it off. I can't wait to sign up for another swap, if was so much fun!

 

1 comment:

Josetta said...

How cute is that??!!